Women’s Giving/Pearls of Empowerment
Pearls of Empowerment seeks to improve the lives of women and children by building a community of female givers who provide grants to local programs and initiatives that address the root causes of social issues impacting women and children in Davie County.
What is Pearls of Empowerment?
The Pearls are a group of women with a BIG vision for Davie County. These women pool their contributions to make grants annually to programs that benefit women and children in the community. After seven years of giving, Pearls has made 56 grants totaling $206,682.64.
Pearls of Empowerment envisions a community where women…
- Have equal opportunities, skills and resources to be independent, self-sufficient and contributing members of the community
- Are empowered and equipped to be leaders in the community
- Are supported in their family role, without regard to family structure
- Are active givers who share their time, talent, and treasure to better the community regardless of their economic status
- Along with their children, are healthy and live in homes and communities without fear of violence
As women we give of our time, talent, and treasure differently, and in diverse ways… making each of us a unique “Pearl”. We want to give back to our community… we want to continue learning and growing so that our lives reflect a true “luster” as part of a lovely strand of pearls.
Each member contributes $1 per day; $365 annually. The $365 gets divided into three parts:
- $300 goes directly toward grant making
- $35 is contributed to the endowment
- $30 is added to the program and operating expense fund
To be considered a member for the year, all donations must be submitted no later than June 30. Pearls of Empowerment awards grants in November.
Pearls of Empowerment Newsletters
Want to be involved?
You can be a member on your own or as part of a group. Each Pearls of Empowerment member gets one vote for grant selection; groups are counted as individual members and each group gets one vote. Joining as part of a group is a way to be involved if you feel you cannot make the financial commitment alone.
To become a Pearl, send a check made payable to Davie Community Foundation (with “Pearls” in the memo) to PO Box 546, Mocksville, NC 27028 along with the INFORMATION CARD. You may wish to pay the full $365 at once or split it between a few payments throughout the year.
Your membership in Pearls of Empowerment can be as involved as you would like. Some ladies wish to simply give the yearly donation and vote on grants, while others want to be involved in the inner-workings of the group and serve on a committee. Check out the MEMBERSHIP BROCHURE to learn more!