As health related agencies and non-profit leaders discuss strategies to improve the overall health of Davie County families, they have chosen to focus their efforts around obesity. Obesity is the gateway to more serious health issues such as Diabetes and Chronic Heart Disease. The group’s goal is to close the gateway!
- A Davie Community Foundation grant was made to Smart Start to purchase “Color Me Healthy” curriculum for all 24 childcare centers. The curriculum was also purchased for use with many of the summer Kinder Camps.
- Davie Community Foundation awarded monies to the Davie Family YMCA for the Healthy Fit & Strong program targeted toward 2nd Grade children at Mocksville Elementary School. The program teaches young children the importance of eating healthy and getting exercise every day! The program also offers “Family Nights” at the YMCA which feature cooking demonstrations by a dietician from WFBH Brenner Fit Program.
- Davie County Cooperative Extension offers “Steps to Health” to 3rd Grade children at select Davie schools. The plan is to expand this program to all six elementary schools over a 3-year period.
- Novant Health offers a “Kid Smart’ Program as follow-up to Healthy Fit & Strong for 5th Grade students in the county. The plan is to also expand this program to all six elementary schools over a 3-year period.
- North Davie Middle School implemented a “Walk & Talk” Program before school to keep students moving as they wait for classes to begin. This program will be expanded to Ellis and South Davie Middle Schools in the future.
- A Community Challenge Campaign is currently being planned for January 2017. Details of the Challenge will be announced on January 3rd. We hope you will choose to “Step up to the Challenge!”